Council on Race and Equity Archive
The Town Board of the Town of New Castle established the Council on Race and Equity (CRE) in June of 2020 as a result of a race crisis in our country and in our community. The Council was tasked with creating an Action Plan for the community.
The Council on Race and Equity delivered over 300 pages of recommendations to the Town of New Castle so that it may foster a more inclusive, equitable community for all of its residents, as well as provide community programs, outreach, advisory and guidance with partners across New Castle.
The Town of New Castle established the New Castle Committee on Race and Equity* by resolution on May 4, 2021, looking to the leadership of the Council on Race and Equity to aid in the transition of the new committee seeking to:
- Commit to the achievement of true racial equity
- Deploy the necessary resources to support sustainable racial equity
- Utilize the power of government institutions and influence to uphold racial equity
- Work in partnership with others to achieve racial equity beyond our boarders
The Town wishes to acknowledge the work of the original 115 volunteers of the council and express our appreciation for those who laid the foundation for this new Committee.
*New Castle Committee on Race and Equity updated to New Castle Committee on Race, Equity and Inclusion by Town Board Resolution on May 24, 2022.
Council on Race and Equity
- Established June 16, 2020
- Presentation October 13-20, 2020
The New Castle Council on Race & Equity (CRE) has been structured into eight (8) distinct workgroups. Each workgroup has a Team Leader, and a designated Town Board member supporting the group. Workgroups have anywhere from 10-16 volunteers each, all of whom are assigned roles, tasks, and responsibilities to ensure the goals and KPIs of the workgroup and the greater CRE are met.
Work Group Presentations
- CRE Work Group 1 - Community Education (PDF)
- CRE Work Group 2 - Community Outreach (PDF)
- CRE Work Group 3 - Community Partnerships (PDF)
- CRE Work Group 4 - Events and Programs (PDF)
- CRE Work Group 5 - Communications (PDF)
- CRE Work Group 6 - Housing and Planning (PDF)
- CRE Work Group 7 - Business and Commerce (PDF)
- CRE Work Group 8 - Town Administration (PDF)
- CRE Anti-Racist Handbook (PDF)
- Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative Committee
The Government Alliance on Race & Equity (GARE) “defines ‘racial equity’ as when race can no longer be used to predict life outcomes and outcomes for all groups are improved” and “we have successful systems and structure that work for all.”
The New Castle Council on Race & Equity seeks to do the following:
- To commit to the achievement of true racial equity
- To deploy the necessary resources to support sustainable racial equity
- To utilize the power of government institutions and influence to uphold racial equity
- To work in partnership with others to achieve racial equity beyond our borders
The Council on Race & Equity was established June 16, 2020.