Marriage Licenses

About Obtaining a Marriage License

  • New York State marriage licenses can be obtained in the Town Clerk’s Office and can be used anywhere in the state.
  • Please read the Instructions For Obtaining A Marriage License before you fill out your application for a Marriage License.
  • A birth certificate is needed by both parties upon submission of the application.
  • No blood tests are required but picture identification is requested.
  • If there are any previous marriages for either party which ended in divorce, certified court papers must be presented when applying for the Marriage License.
  • The Marriage License fee is $40.
  • If you would like a certified copy of your Marriage License, please fill out the Application for Copy of Marriage Record (PDF) and include the $10 per copy fee, plus a copy of your driver’s license.

Instructions for Obtaining a Marriage License

A marriage license must be obtained a minimum of 24 hours before the ceremony, and once issued. is valid for 60 days. 

Previous Marriages

If a previous marriage ended in divorce, certified divorce papers must be presented. If you have any question about your divorce papers. please call the Town Clerk's Office at 914-238-4772 or send them in before your visit.

Marriage License Application

Review How to Obtain a Marriage License (PDF), complete the Marriage License Application (PDF) and either send it to the Town Clerk’s Office ahead of your visit so your license will be ready when you arrive or bring it in with you. 

Both parties must appear to take the oath and sign the license. You will be required to provide photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport, your birth certificate, and your Social Security Number.

Marriage licenses are issued Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m., by appointment only. If you have any question about your divorce papers. please call or send them in before your visit to the Town Clerk’s Office. 914-238-4772.

Social Security

The Social Security Administration advises marriage applicants who plan on assuming a new surname after marriage to contact their local Social Security Office so their records and card reflect the change. The cardholder must file a change notice (Form SS-5) with the local Social Security Office. 

Along with the form, you will need your Certificate of Marriage and your old Social Security Card. For more information, call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

The Social Security Administration is located at:
55 Church Street
White Plains. NY